4/16/2008

Brass and Carnation



Oil on Gessoed 100% Rag Board laid down on same, 6" x 6"
$75.00 SOLD
I really enjoyed doing this painting. I loved how the colors of the flower were subtly reflected into the surface of the brass container, and how the leaves had all sorts of variations of green in them. I felt the brass was quite shiny and successful, so I was happy with that, and I liked the contrast between the solidity of it and the wispiness of the flower.

Are you familiar with Caravaggio's masterpiece of a still-life? The one in which he just has a basket filled with fruit and leaves silhouetted against a plain, but vibrant yellow background? He was such a master of composition, that just the negative spaces (background shapes) in the picture are positively hypnotic. Each time I just happen upon that painting in a book I am once again completely in awe of it.

******************************


NFS

This is another spring offering. It is an oil color monotype that I did many years ago down in Blacksburg, Virginia. I picked the morning glories, then sat in front of them for about four hours with a zinc plate, a tiny paintbrush, some oil paint and turpentine. When I was done, I printed the image on to a piece of dampened Italian printmaking paper using my etching press. --Monotypes are like roulette. But this was a winner, and it is something I will never part with. I love morning glories. Their beauty is so ephemeral and ethereal.

No comments: