6/11/2008

Pink Peonies in a Tarnished Silver Beaker


9" x 12", Oil on Board, $100.00 SOLD
I really had a lot of fun doing this painting. Peonies
are one of my favorite flowers, and I look forward
to their coming out every year. We have a couple
of plants in front of our house, but they don't get
enough sun. I treasured the few blooms we got,
but these I got at the supermarket. They were
surprisingly affordable.
I did this over a sketch, but I took a lot of liberties
with the flowers. I had to be a bit tighter with the
cup, just because of the structure. Sometimes I
think I must have been a manuscript illuminator
in another lifetime, because for some reason I really
get a bang out of painting things like those tiny dots
of light, light yellow on the cup rim and base. Maybe
because it reminds me of early Renaissance art, which
I adore.
It was was fun, because the rest of the painting got
to be kind of slapdash, and painting lines of trans-
parent, very brilliant colors through passages of
thick white. You never know what's going to happen...
I think I may do some more peonies tomorrow.

2 comments:

belindadelpesco.com said...

Beautiful painting of one of my favorite flowers. You handle texture and form so well.

Angela Fehr said...

Can't wait til my peonies are blooming - I was counting the buds this morning!
It's easy to tell that you love Renaissance art - your work often has that kind of atmosphere to it!