10/15/2009

Head of Hypnos lll, (God of Sleep)


Pastel, Pastel Pencil, and Vine Charcoal on White Paper, 7" x 12"
This is number three, because this actually is the third drawing that I have done of this
head. I have about eight photos of it from many angles, and am just sort of obsessed with
it, I guess. The drawings never look the same, and I have never yet really tried to create the
feeling of the bronze that it was originally created from. I'll have to do that next - that's really fun.
I was fairly satisfied with this, though not completely. There is some inherent ethereal
beauty in this face that makes it difficult to make it appear manly, although in the actual head
itself there are many manly elements that are particuarly evident from certain points of view.
I also find it intriguing just that they had a god of sleep to begin with, and always feel I
am creating something "unusual" to say the least, when I draw this object. I just never
tire of it. I think it is so beautiful. I'm sure I will do many more.

No comments: